"Don't forget to wash your hands so you don't get the Corona virus."
"'Cus what happens if you get the Corona virus?"
"You'll throw up!" - C.M. age 3
COVID-19 Preparedness 3/31/2020
Hello again from Milestone!
We hope you are hanging in there! It has been a wild ride these past 2 weeks and although these times are uncertain we remain dedicated to serving you and your family during this season. A little over a week ago we decided to discontinue in-person sessions due to the COVID-19 outbreak. We have completely transitioned to offering tele-health sessions for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Speech Therapy to protect you, your family and our team.
Due to the recent announcements at the state and federal levels, Milestone will be continuing to serve our community through only telehealth appointments through May 1st. We hope to be back in the clinic in early May for in-person sessions. It was made clear from our local, state and federal governments that the social distancing guidelines will remain in effect for at least the next 30 days. As a company, we feel strongly about doing our part for the community at large and abiding by these recommendations. These decisions do not come easy, as we know this impacts many families and children. We are anxious to return to having sessions in the clinic and in homes throughout San Diego (we love what we do!). If anything changes further, we will let you know as soon as possible!
We have now been offering tele-therapy services for two weeks and are excited to report that many families are loving it! It has helped families maintain some structure and routine throughout this season when so many things are different. We are beyond grateful for all the participation, feedback and overall support so far with our tele-therapy services!
We hope you stay well and take care of yourselves through this season. As parents, you are being asked to do extraordinary things right now. We are here for you and are rooting for you and your family now and always!
COVID-19 Preparedness 3/19/2020
Hello Milestone Family!
I hope this email finds you well and healthy :). I know a lot has changed these last few weeks and I want you to know first and foremost that we are here for you We continue to remain excited and grateful to serve you and your family during this time.
Since the beginning of our journey in 2017 as a company, I have always had people as my top priority and this continues to be the case today. The health of well being of the families, children and Milestone team members are of utmost importance to me. Because of this, we will be pausing in-person sessions through at least 4/3/2020.
This is the best way to protect the Milestone Family, at large, now and for the future. This was not in any way an easy decision and I promise that we will be doing everything we can to serve our community through the online platform. We have already had amazing tele-therapy, online sessions in Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Speech Therapy and it is our hope that you will join us on this new, exciting adventure!
We will be moving to entirely online, video-based sessions called tele-therapy, beginning on Monday, 3/23/2020.
If you haven’t tried tele-therapy with us yet, we will reach out to you tomorrow, Friday, 3/20, to offer that service and set it up. In the meantime, check out our Instagram feed to see how it's going :-).
If you’ve already had your first tele-therapy session with your therapist --- THANK YOU & CONGRATS --- your regularly scheduled next sessions will remain on tele-health through April 3rd.
Choosing Milestone Pediatric Therapy has always been your choice, and will continue to be. Tele-therapy is a way to maintain some control, some choice, some normalcy, and of course - progress towards therapy goals that you have for your child. We may even be able to add a new fun sensory, movement or language routines for all those days at home!
We understand there may be some hesitation around tele-therapy. In honoring our values, we appreciate even having an opportunity to give it a try. We are here to answer your questions, hear your concerns, and overall help ease the transition to a new phase in your child’s development.
The Milestone Team is 100% dedicated to supporting you and your family as we navigate these changing times, together. All of us will be working as hard from home as we do from the office and are looking forward to serving you with the same dedication virtually as we do in-person.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 619-578-2232 with any questions.
- We will meet you outside (in front of our door) for your appointment and you will be escorted through the waiting room by your therapist.
- We are asking that you stay in your car until a few minutes before your start time and then walk to the breezeway by our front door to meet your therapist.
- Child and therapist will use soap or hand sanitizer to disinfect hands prior to starting the session
- All therapy sessions will be held in private rooms or designated areas that will be completely sanitized in between sessions.
- All shared equipment space will be sectioned off and used by only one therapist that day with full sensitization procedures in between sessions.
- To protect against the spread of germs, your therapist will not bring any toys into your home
- All sessions will start with hand-washing for both child and therapist
- To hold a session, all members of the household and the therapist must be healthy and not showing signs of illness.
- This type of session would include the therapist “meeting” with you through a computer or phone at your normal appointment time.
- Therapy would require having a computer or phone, and internet to complete the session.
- Similar to an in person session, therapists will guide you and your child through prepared therapy activities
- They may ask you to have some toys and common household items prepared
- Thera-Link is a trusted brand in the healthcare community
- It's similar to Facetime or Skype, and is HIPAA compliant to protect you and your information
COVID-19 Preparedness 3/10/2020
The well being of the Milestone Family is always our priority. We’ve been staying up-to-date on current suggestions regarding COVID-19, from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO). Both organizations have shared similar updates that we shouldn’t panic, but we should be taking precautions. Suggested precautions include: keeping your immune system up; washing your hands lots; and being extra protective of sneezes and coughs.
We are taking additional measures to support the health of everyone who enters Milestone. We have a designated staff person to ensure that our goals are being met.
Our goals, as carried out by Amanda, Milestone's wonderful Clinic Assistant, include:
- Waiting room surfaces are cleaned every 2 - 3 hours
- All toys in the waiting room have been removed
- Toys are cleaned between each use
- Equipment is cleaned between uses
- Gym mats are fully cleaned daily and spot cleaned as needed during sessions
The well being of our staff is also paramount, so we are taking extra caution with our health, as well. They have been advised to stay home if they are experiencing symptoms of illness. We have provided them a specific guide to help them better navigate when they need to remain home from work.
The precaution that can help the most is: if your child exhibits signs of the flu or coronavirus, cancel your therapy session, as soon as you see the signs. Below are some guidelines to help you decide if you should cancel your speech therapy, occupational therapy, or physical therapy appointment.
- Your child, in the past 24 hours have:
- Had a fever above 100.4 degrees fahrenheit
- Uncontrollable cough, or other irregular respiratory symptoms
- Incidents of vomiting or diarrhea in the past 48 hours
- Flu-like symptoms: aches and pains, nasal congestion, sore throat, diarrhea, fever
- Other illnesses to include but not limited to: hand/foot/mouth, rash with fever (until 24 hours after first treatment), head lice (until after first treatment and child is lice free)
To cancel and/or schedule a makeup, call 619-578-2232, then press 1.
Thank you for your support, help & trust! It is an honor to serve you and your family!
Milestone Pediatric Therapy Team
Details from the CDC & WHO
On the current status of the COVID-19 virus in the US
From the Center for Disease Control (CDC),
On how to reduce the likelihood of spreading a virus
From the World Health Organization